Pages

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Round two


This is my second outfit with leopard print this week - maybe I should make a point to wear my leopard print heels on Friday, and then I will have worn all the leopard print I own in the same week. (Clearly my collection isn't extensive.) This is the first time I've worn this thrifted leopard print blouse. It was tricky to find a way to wear it because when I tuck it into a skirt it tends to bunch up around the waist, so I decided to treat it like a cardigan and left it open. I'm not sure it's going to be a keeper, though, because if this is the only way I can wear it then I'm going to run out of options fast.

I'm kind of on the fence regarding this outfit, but Josh really liked it. (Then again, he hated this fun outfit...) It's "slouchier" than most of the things I wear, but it was a super comfy outfit to lounge around the house in. I'm also on the fence about my jewelry, and wonder: is it tacky to wear a rosary if I'm not Catholic?




Black tee: Forever 21
Leopard print shirt: thrifted from Goodwill
Jeans: Gap
Boots: Crossroads Trading Co.
Bag and scarf: thrifted
Bracelets: H&M

10 comments:

  1. Love these booties! Nothing wrong with a little (or a lot) of leopard print remixing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I have those boots in black from Urban Outfitters! :)

    I love leopard print and my collection is embarrassingly extensive, and I really like how you paired the blouse with the rust colored scarf. The colors really go well together.

    And I don't think it's tacky to wear a rosary if you like it. I think it's just fine.

    While this is a bit slouchy, you pull it off without looking sloppy. Great styling! :)

    GlamCake

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seriously love your boots.

    For what it's worth, from what I've heard from my Catholic friends, many MANY Catholics are offended when people wear rosaries as jewelry.

    And I seriously love your boots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Elspeth - maybe I won't wear it anymore. I felt kind of weird about it, but I also like the way it looks. Maybe I'll just hang it on my wall?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am Catholic, and I do find it somewhat offensive when people wear rosaries as jewelry, although I realize that most people do so out of ignorance, rather than a desire to offend. We actually don't consider a rosary to be jewelry at all, but rather a way to keep track of meditative prayers by saying one prayer on each bead. Some people wear one as a private devotion, but almost always under their clothes, and they are worn on the belt as part of the habit of many Catholic religious orders. The Wikipedia article on the Rosary is pretty informative if you'd like to know more about the devotion.

    Many people would never consider wearing a Native American headdress as a fashion statement if they do not belong to that culture, because the cultural appropriation and trivialization is considered offensive. The blog Interrobangs Anonymous had an excellent discussion related to this a few months ago. I view wearing a rosary as a fashion statement to be much the same thing.

    I'm not angry with you, and I know you intended no offense by this! I started reading your blog recently, and really enjoy it and your sense of style. I just wanted to answer your question, since you asked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Lady Harriet, for clearing things up :) I got my rosary when I used to play the piano at a Catholic church many years ago, so while I appreciate the sentimental value it has, I definitely don't use it for prayers, so I think from now on it will just be something I keep around the house as a memento.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a big leopard fan, I love this top!
    of course my own collection would take me over a week to get through now...

    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean, Stacey! I think rosaries are beautiful too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...